Monday, May 12, 2008

New Sippy's

Happy Belated Mother's Day to all!
We tried out our new stainless steel sippy cups this weekend, in a trip downtown to my moms and the Museum of Science and Industry (I think I will have to take Chris there for Father's Day without the kids :))
I got the one with handles for Ostin and the straw one for Coleman
http://www.thermos.com/SubCategoriesCatalog.aspx?CatCode=Foog&SubMenuID=0
You can get them at Target, although I got the last ones at ours.
I read some of the reviews on Target.com and Amazon, and the sippy cup does have four parts and a bit of effort is required to disassemble and put back together, but not too bad. It sounds to me like some of the reviewers didn't realize the spout came off the lid though. Anyway I haven't had them long enough to have any off the ick problems they did, but the way I clean them I don't really see how anyway. I like the fact that they are insulated especially for the summer months coming up. Plus the other Munchin insulated cup we have is BPA free as well. So far to me they were a good purchase. I'm also attaching a link where if you scroll down this page a bit you can click on most of the major brands and they will tell you if your current cup is BPA free or not. Surprisingly a good number of them already are, so don't go emptying your cupboard just yet! Another thing I want to mention about this going green thing is that at least to me, it's not about going out and making a whole bunch of new purchases, and throwing out what you already have and is okay into a landfill. It's just about making wiser decisions next time around. Yes there are a some things you need to stop using pretty much right away (Anything with: Coal Tar, Fragrance[I know this one is hard maybe just use up what you have and move on], Hydroquinone, Aluminum, Triclosan, P-Phenylenediamine, and Lead and Mercury.) This list is from my Gorgeously Green book, so I don't want to sit here and type the whole book, but check these ingedients out on the skindeep database http://www.cosmeticdatabase.com/index.php?nothanks=1
Anyway those are just the most toxic ones, there are still parabens and mineral oil...but that is a whole nother blog! So my point is check your sippy's, and if you don't have to buy new stuff don't! Try the most difficult R in the three R's reduce, reuse and recycle, and to me that is Reduce! Okay I gotta go and write a letter to Panera about their styrofoam cups! and #6 plastic lids, and before I get off on another tangent!
love to all

No comments: