Thursday, May 8, 2008

That's a Wrap

Mother's Day is coming up and I was just thinking about wrapping, and how much waste wrapping paper and bows and ribbons and all that packaging stuff creates. I know it looks nice but really everyone just rips it all off in like 2 seconds and off into a landfill it goes. So I got this tip from Sierra Club on Furoshiki, which are a type of traditional Japanese wrapping cloth that were frequently used to transport clothes, gifts, or other goods. (wikipedia)
furoshiki.com/techniques.php#basic_wrap

Anyway looks interesting and I'm willing to give it a try maybe with some organic cotton napkins, or scarves, or baby blankets, tableclothes, um bandanas or something. I've been looking for a way to address the issue of the boys birthdays coming up and the bags and bags of garbage we throw out afterwards, so this sounds like some creative problem solving!

I can hear some of your eyeballs rolling in the back of your heads, thinking I'm a nut and so much work, blah blah blah, well I said I would try it and well see how it goes. :) Anyone have a better suggestion?

No comments: