Thursday, May 15, 2008

Stinky Greenies

We all know that natural deodorants for lack of a better word...stink! I decided to conduct a little experiment today since I have been using the Tom's of Maine Lavender Deodorant and while it's probably okay for ladies that glow, it just doesn't quite do it for me. So Gorgeously Green recommends Dr Hauschka's roll on, but much as I try I just can't fork over $19.99 for something that goes in my armpit. She has a couple other recommendation that I will probably try at some point they are, Erbavia, Herbal Magic, Aubrey Organics, and Tom's of Maine for men, if you need more info on those call me. But I decided to go to the Health Food Store and just pick their brains. The very helpful lady at All Ways Healthy basically told me what I already knew...Natural deodorants just don't do the job that we have come to expect, especially since they are just deodorants, not, antiperspirants. She recommended two brands that actually have repeat purchases and those are Thursday Plantation Tea Tree Floral Deodorant and EarthScience either Lichen or Tea Tree Lavender. The Thursdays isn't totally "clean" it rates a #5 on the cosmetics database but it does not contain aluminum which is rather toxic, but it does contain "fragrance" which is why it only rates a #5, still not too bad, better than a #10. It comes in a roll-on. The Earth Science Deodorant rates a #1 (for those who haven't checked that out yet, that's very good, 0 being the lowest) and is a solid. So to test my two new purchases I applied one under each arm then hooked up the bike trailed and hauled to kids on a 27 minute bike ride to playgroup(It's ride a bike to work or play week too), ran around with the kiddies till noon, then hauled them back home, wearing a windproof jacket, did some cleaning, raked out the lettuce garden and planted some herbs and Swiss Chard, and finally put the kids to bed. I figured a day in the life was the best way to check for stink. And for the results.....(sniff sniff).....The Thursdays isn't the freshest, it's not as bad as the Tom's and probably on an average day you could get away with it, the floral scent isn't exactly exactly horrible, but kind of stale if you know what I mean. The Earth Science on the other hand I'm pleasantly surprised with, I can't smell anything, I'm tempted to ask my husband if he can, but really I can only put the poor man through so much :) Anyway I might try some others after I'm through with these, but I think I will be sticking with EarthScience for a bit, we'll see what happens in the dog days of summer. Just keep in mind this is only one girls opinion and everyones body chemistry is different, but like I said I'm not one of those lucky glow girls who don't even use deodorant! like Julia Roberts and my totally cool sister-in-law :)

All this got me thinking though at some point, in order to make an impact and work towards a better future for our kids, we will have to sacrifice something. I am so used to having my cake and eating it too, we are just a consumer culture and really at some point it has to stop, why is it so hard for use to give up our creature comforts? When I listen to myself hem and haw about it and make excuses, I sound like my 2yr old whining for a Popsicle. Seriously though before I get on my global warming rampage, I just want to say that we have to start giving some stuff up in order to make a difference, I think that the Earth and our children's future is worth it, don't you? I know natural deodorants won't save the planet, but it's the mind set I'm talking about, I have to be willing to give up those comfortable things because in the long run they are harmful to me and to all of my friends and family, I'm not saying be a stinky Greenie, but take a look and what you consume in a day, or week or whatever, and see if there is any place to cut back. So my quote for the day....Be the Change you want to see in the world - Gandhi (courtesy of Sophie Uliano)

No comments: