Saturday, April 12, 2008

Green Cleaning

I started becoming obsessed with green cleaning while I was pregnant with my first child, just the thought of all those toxic chemicals somehow effecting my children or myself, or even my pets is just so disturbing. Doesn't it just burn your nose when you walk down a cleaning products aisle? That's a slight clue! If you are willing to put in a bit more elbow grease into cleaning you don't have to use all those harmful chemicals. After some experimenting here is what I found that works best for me.
-Sinks, Bathtubs, showers, kitchen sinks, stoves, etc - Sprinkle with baking soda, then spray with white vinegar, let foam up and scrub. We have hard well water and after trying all sorts of crazy chemicals to clean rust stains off my terrazzo shower floor, I was amazed that baking soda and vinegar did better than anything! Yes sometimes I like to use an old toothbrush to get in the corners call me crazy.
-Windows, mirrors, wood floors, counters, microwave, just about anything really. Spray bottle filled with White vinegar! I know it sounds crazy but I clean just about everything with vinegar, then when my two year old decides that peanut butter and jelly would taste so much better smeared on the cabinet I just cleaned I'm not freaking out that he just licked a possible carcinogen or nervous systen toxin! People complain about the smell, but I guess I would rather smell vinegar than breathe something that can cause asthma or irritate nasal passages.

There are tons of Green Clean books out there, the one I found most helpful is Green Clean: The Environmentally Sound Guide to Cleaning Your Home (Paperback)
by Linda Mason Hunter. She also wrote an article in the March/April Mothering Magazine about Green Cleaning, here are some tips from that regarding kids:
-Use laundry detergent that does not contain phosphates, optical brightners, chlorine, perborates or synthetic fragrances.

-Use unscented biodegradable dryer sheets (shaklee has some that are okay, haven't tried anything else yet)

-Do not use synthetic pesticides

-Use natural disinfectants (Once again this is were I use vinegar for all)

-Do not use antibacterial soaps, Instead wash hands in warm soapy water far at least 20 seconds making sure you get inbetween fingers and under nails. (We sing a song, and we have to wash our hands till it's done, hey whatever works right!)

I feel like I have a ton more to say about this, but I'll try to break it up

No comments: