Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy Earth Day

I have to admit I'm having a bit of a freak out about global warming. I watched the Alaskan Expedition on Discovery Channel(http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/globalwarming/globalwarming.html) the other night and seriously could not sleep! The whole thing about Polar Bears being extinct by 2050 and the permafrost thawing and releasing methane into the atmosphere! Anyway so here is a link to what you personally can do about it http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/solutions/what-you-can-do-about-global-warming.html

One of my problems with this is the whole car pooling ride your bike solution. It's just a tad difficult with two kids, not to mention car seats, groceries, etc. How do you car pool when most of our activities require at least one parent per child or trying to transfer car seats into an already full mini van? I live in the suburbs and riding my bike to stores is just not realistic, as much as I would love to save fuel and get my workout in all at the same time. Everywhere I go I see rows of mini-vans in the parking lot and it just frustrates me, what's a mom to do? Well without even realizing it my brilliant friend Bridget and I have been cutting down out carbon footprint by being shopping buddies. For example if she goes to Target to get say 4 things and I need 4 things, then if she gets the things on my list, that's one car less on the road, less fuel burned, etc,. And this is something we do regularly, The grocery store is a tad problematic so we kind of have a limit of say 5-7 items, but Target, Trader Joe's, the PetStore....whatever. It doesn't seem like much, but not only have we saved each other fuel and time, we have done something good for the earth. So why not see if your neighbor needs anything from Target, or anyone in playgroup needs anything at Babies R Us if you are making the trip, I don't know but you get the drift. If anyone else has any suggestions on reducing the amount of gas we burn while juggling car seats and babies and safety (I'm not packing two car seats into a Prius!) Let me know cause it's really eating at my concious. Otherwise I suppose the carpooling will have to wait (sigh) But I can't beat myself up too much, I've made many changes, so one thing at a time. I don't think it will do anyone any good if I get so freaked out that I can't sleep, so one change at a time. Much love to all out there, and Happy Earth Day!!! How are you celebrating?

No comments: