Monday, April 28, 2008

Hard Habit to Break

Did you know that paper waste contributes one third of all land fill waste? That is just way too much! Plus:
  • One million trees would be saved if every U.S. household replaced just one 250-count package of virgin fiber napkins with 100 percent recycled ones.
  • 544,000 trees would be saved by replacing a 70-sheet roll of virgin fiber paper towels.
  • 424,000 trees would be spared by replacing a 500-sheet roll of virgin fiber toilet paper
  • 170,000 trees would be saved by replacing one 175-count box of virgin fiber facial tissue.
source earthtreat.org

Is it that hard to stop using paper towels? Well we are about to find out! I raided my bag of things to be donated to GoodWill and found suitable fabrics to make napkins and rags. I made a 12"x12" template out of cardboard from the recycling bin, so I don't have to measure each square that I have to cut, traced them with one of the kids water soluable markers and started cutting. When I couldn't get a full 12"square I made smaller squares to use for face cloths for the kids and rags. I still need to find a sustainable cute basket to put them on my counter in, but I'm sure if I search hard enough I can find something in my house to Reuse! Oh old sheets are a good idea too. You can certainly edge your 12" square for nice looking table napkins, or get someone to do it for you (I'll help you if you are in the neighborhood!) I seriously urge you to take on this challenge with me, or at least buy recycled paper products, everytime you use a paper towel you are cutting down trees. I don't mean to sound like a tree hugger or a crazy activist but this is sooooo important!! Just try what have you got to lose. Seriously if you need help and want to bring me some old stuff to cut up for you, I'll do it!

1 comment:

ape said...

I'm breaking this habit, too....thanks to inspiration from you! I'm a napkin/papertowel junkie and paid no attention to the chemicals they are made with muchless the fact that they are not recyclable until recently. As much as I like the idea of making my own napkins, I don't have any fabric scraps laying around nor do I own a sewing machine. Soooooo, I decided to investigate recyclable paper products and where I could buy them. Dominick's has a brand called Nature's Balance that is very comparable in price to what I was paying for Target brand products. (I paid $3.99 for 6 dbl rolls 2-ply toilet paper as opposed to $3.49 for the same in Target's brand; napkins cost $1.99 for 200 ct. as opposed to $1.49 for 250 ct. & paper towels cost $4.99 for 6 reg. 2-ply rolls as opposed to $3.48 for 2 dbl 2-ply rolls at Target.) I never in a million years thought I'd get this excited over paper products! Still looking for 'green' kleenex, paper plates & plastic storage bags. Living greener is a fun challenge which I'm really enjoying. It feels good to know I'm making a little difference in the world. Just had to share.