Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Zap that Sponge

We all know that bleach is bad and we shouldn't use it. So how can you disinfect all those little germs that are using your kitchen sponges as breeding grounds. (incidentally we probably should be using organic cotton cloths because sponges contain polyurethane and natural sponges should be left in nature, Trader Joes carries a vegtable cellulose sponge though but they get stinky quick, this little tidbit helps though) Anyway my point, if you zap those sponges or clothes in the microwave for 60 seconds or run them through a heated dry cycle in your dishwasher you kill 99 percent of bacteria, yeast and molds, that's more that soaking them in a 10% bleach solution. This fun factoid is courtesy of one of my new favorite magazines - Clean Eating, most of the recipes are pretty good too, although anything made with fatfree ricotta, I gotta say has not worked for me. Off to zap my sponges!

No comments: