Thursday, April 17, 2008

That's My Bag Baby!

Inspired by an article in Body+Soul this month, I decided to try a quit my plastic bag habit cold turkey, and you know what, it wasn't as much of a disaster as I thought it would be! I'm actually feeling pretty good about it. I just gathered up all those canvas bags that I have collected over the years, from work and random events, and just put the bag of bags in my car with a couple of plasic ones just in case (hey at least they will get reused a couple of times before becoming poop bags) Trader Joe's was a breeze and I always shop big there, no matter how small my list, they were super helpful and friendly, and I got a raffle ticket for $10 of groceries for bringing in my bags. Dominick's gave me a coupon book for bringing in my bag, and it's actually stuff I would buy not some crazy processed junk, for example organic salad mixes, a house plant!, organic coffee and a free Ben&Jerry's mini cup! So exciting for me!! Health food store, and Walgreens purchases went right into my way to large to be a purse, purse, and voila I'm feelin' pretty good about myself. So try it once it's not as bad as I thought it would be, and I can go to sleep knowing I have made just a slight difference, that's all I can ask of myself. And if it is just too daunting of a task, at least give up the single purchase bags, you know your going to hide those cookies in your purse anyway so your husband and kids don't eat them, what do you need another bag for? (Wait did I just say that out loud?!)

1 comment:

ape said...

I've been off plastic now for about 2 weeks & though I feel good about using my own bags to shop, I'm definitely experiencing the 'shakes!' I'm not done detoxing....that's for sure. I got so used to using the plastic bags for trash can liners, poop bags, you name it &, at times when I was running low on my stash of plastic, would make a mental note that I needed to go shopping to get some more! UGH! I still find myself going to my plastic bag hanger to grab one for this, that or the other thing, but it's empty now. Yeah me! I, too, got a Dominick's coupon book worth $40 plus one of their recyclable black mesh bags for bringing in my own bags. (I admit I wanted the free Ben & Jerry's ice cream, too!) HA! I also got entered in a $25 food credit raffle at Trader Joe's (LOVE that store!!!!) I'm now using their brand of 'green' dishwasher soap as well as pure Castille soap for washing dishes, hands and everything else. I love it. Now, everywhere I shop, I bring my own bags & inquire as to what their companies are doing to go green. It's pleasantly surprising to find out that many people out there are wanting to make a difference as well. I shopped at Stride Rite, Children's Place & Ann Taylor Loft in the past few days using my own bags each time! Cool, huh!? :)